Thursday, October 3, 2013
Dad's 80th Birthday Party! September 29, 2013 with Photos
Dad's 80th Birthday Celebration, (Sara's letter to the Elder's serving missions) Sept 30, 2013
Friday morning the Lee's drove me to the airport and I got to Reno before noon. Bryan picked me up and we went to REI to exchange some shoes of Bryan's and Grandpa found some great looking sandle-shoes and I found a nice pair of flats that were on clearance. We had lunch at In&Out and then rode back to Carson partially on the new freeway and then the old highway in front of Bowers Mansion and then Franktown road. These areas have beautiful timber and reminds me of the old days. After a while back in Carson we went to Costco for grocery items for the Sunday party.
Saturday was a fun day as we went to the Ranch of Dean and Lynne's and enjoyed the country air and good food. LYNNE has shot an antelope and they made a sausage out of it for lunch. The Jesses went out and Gigi had arrived from Dallas. With fun visiting and taking lots of pictures it was very enjoyable. Dean had not thought he could even come home from Washington for the weekend as there was a Senate vote to finish. At the last minute to catch a flight, he was able to catch the 'red eye' and make it out to Nevada. He had just gotten a weed/fertilizer sprayer for his 4 wheeler so they were trying that out. Mac and his family was there too.
On Sunday there was a missionary farewell for Austin Pacheco who was a former boyfriend of Emmy Heller, and it was a great talk he gave. HIs parents are not members but were there and seemed to support their son going on his mission. He joined the church 2 years ago due to Emmy's introduction to the church. It was fun to see people there from years gone by, so we chatted a while and then went home to make food for Grandpa's 80th birthday party. We arrived to Jesse's house with the family that had come, and then friends of Dad's from the ward and from his lifetime here. It was pretty fun. Dean and Lynne set him up with a letter from the Governor of Nevada that had a summary of Grandpas life. I'll send you a copy of it sometime.
We presented him with the book of letters and since Ethan and Morgan were the first two to submit their letters, they were on the first page! We got quite a few and loaded the binder with the sheet protectors. Grandpa was delighted with the well wishing in his humble way and handled the attention pretty well. :-) I've taken lots of pictures of the fun weekend, but I'll have to send them to you when I get back home....which will get to you next week.
Of course I was thinking of you both during the missionary farewell. The fellow Austin is going to Bolivia, but first to Columbia to the MTC. He said in his talk, "My mission will make me into the Man The Lord wants me to be." I thought how true that was for both you young men! I know the day in - day out experiences you are having is shaping you into the men that The Lord knew you could be. That is exactly the path you are introducing to people that they change and become the people The Lord know's they can become. I am so grateful that you are doing this for people in your mission area's. We each have an opportunity to become our best self. I liked his comment and wanted to share it with you.
Monday, Tamie, Gigi, Maggie, Oma and I will go for a drive to old town Genoa and then I'll have to be at the airport by 3:30pm. I'll be watching my phone for your emails. Everyone here is so appreciative of your missionary service.
I love you dearly and will be praying for your continued service and safety in the field.
Love, Mom
I'm looking forward to General Conference as I know you are.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment